Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Everything is Auspicious

Today when I opened the blog, I thought I will write something else but just before writing this post, I came across a beautiful article about a boy from a small village with illiterate parents, going to IIT (one of the most reputed engineering colleges around the world) and then joining Google. I immediately started writing this post on this guy. The above description of the boy does not seem very different from many of the IIT aspirants in India. But this boy, Naga Naresh Karuturi, is special because he does not have both his legs and moves in an electric wheel chair. What is so amazing about this guy is his spirit to live an amazing and high-energy life. He met with a freak accident when he was 7 years old and his legs were amputated till his hips.

What caught my attention was his statement, 'God has planned things for me and takes care of me at every step.' He says, 'I feel he plans everything for you. If not for the accident, we would not have moved from the village to Tanuku, a town. There I joined a missionary school, and my father built a house next to the school. Till the tenth standard, I studied in that school. If I had continued in Teeparu (the village), I may not have studied after the 10th. I may have started working as a farmer or someone like that after my studies. I am sure God had other plans for me.'

Even for little things going wrong or not going according to what we wanted/expected, many us get so worried and tensed up. But this dude saw everything that was happening to him as auspicious. Instead of attaching any kind of negativity, this guy took everything as a gift of God, even his physical ____ (the dash because I do not want to use any demeaning word for this guy. He is more physically and mentally fit than many of us).

Paramahamsa Nithyananda says, 'Everything is magalatva, auspicious. When we see everything as auspicious, we start looking at life in a completely different way. When we see everything, whether good or bad, as auspicious, we just flow.'

The problem is we resist what is happening. We complain and crib because we resist what Existence is constantly giving us. It is our expectations that make us see things that happen to us as good or bad. If something goes according to what we wanted, it is good and God is great. When it happens otherwise, it is bad and we ask, 'Where is God?' This is what leads us to go on a roller coaster ride of happiness and sorrow. It is simply because we constantly resist the hand of Existence.

It is like a twig stuck partly on the river bank and dipped partly in a flowing river. It constantly feels the pain because the river is just flowing and trying to take the twig along but the twig holds on to the bank thinking it is safe. Only when the twig leaves the bank and flows with the river, the pain stops.

Our expectations are the bank we are holding on to and the Existence is the river that is constantly flowing. Existence is all-showering and gifting us every single moment. It is upto us to see the auspiciousness of everything that Existence is presenting to us. When we see that, we stop resisting and let go of the ground, we become one with the River Itself and flow along with It.

Once again, hats off to you Naresh. You are a dude.

I leave you with the following video by Paramahamsa Nithyananda on this subject.

(You can read the article about Naresh here.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An excellent post again. It's so true that we forget to enjoy what we have and for what we are and THIS moment is gone.I liked the example of the twig resisting the flow of the river.And amazing inspiration from the boy, Naresh!